Friday, July 15, 2011

Just Chessin' Around

Today, for the first time in the history of my young life, I beat someone at chess. I was so proud of myself, I just had to write about it in my blog.

The theme of the board is Aztecs versus Spaniards. Of course we all know how that turned out in real life, but I always choose the underdogs because it's bittersweet when I finally do win.

My strategy: I didn't really have one (I never really have one), but I did see an opening and took it. Thankfully my opponent was distracted his own plans, and didn't realize his king was vulnerable. My queen moved in, and a tiny victory dance for the clay Mexicans ensued.

Here is a picture of the board at the end of the game:

Here is an up-close of the Spaniard pawns' faces when they realized the tables had turned:


When all is said and done, the chess board folds into a little box for all the pieces to fit in. (Nifty!) I imagine a "Night at the Museum" situation in which the pieces come to life at night and fight inside the box.

My favorite pieces have to be the Aztec llamas. They're llamas, what more can I say?

2 comments:

  1. They're alpacas, but we'll PRETEND they're llamas, just so you can feel right. (you are wrong though)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually it's just a chess piece. But if you would like to pretend it's a llama, that's cool. :P

    ReplyDelete